The house where Ilia Chavchavadze spent the last years of his life - he lived in this house with his wife, Olga Guramishvili in 1902-1907.
In 1889-1901 - he lived in the house of his younger sister, Elisabeth Saginashvili, where the editorial office and printing house of the newspaper "Iveria" were located.
In the 1900s, an older writer decided to buy his own house.
For this purpose, he bought a yard and a small one-story house on Andreev Street (now: N22 Giorgi Chubinashvili St.) from Gabriel and Barbara Ghviniashvili (parents of Academician Giorgi Chubinashvili's wife Nino Ghviniashvili), which was used as storage by the previous owner.
Guests were often visited and evenings were held regularly at Ilia and Olga's house.
The Ilia Chavchavadze House-Museum in Tbilisi was established based on the resolution of the Council of Ministers of Georgia of August 3, 1956, and was opened on October 22, 1957. The initiator of the establishment of the museum in Tbilisi was the People's Poet of Georgia Giorgi Leonidze.
The museum was given items and photographs of Ilia Tbilisi's house selected from the funds of the Georgian Literary Museum and the Ilia Chavchavadze House-Museum in Saguramo. The museum originally owned four rooms: a workroom for the writer, a living room, a dining room, and a bedroom with open balconies. Later the house was vacated by private occupants and the museum annexed the rest of the rooms, restored all the memorial rooms, and arranged expositions.
In 1987, on the 150th anniversary of the writer's birth, the Ilia Chavchavadze Literary-Memorial Museum was opened. The expositions were transferred to the museum located at Javakhishvili N7 and only the memorial section remained here.
Temporarily closed for visitors due to rehabilitation works.